Pages

Friday, November 4, 2011

Propagating Gynura Procumbens


For the first Gynura Procumbens I bought from Mahogany Market in Tagaytay we shelled out 100 pesos. When Dannie came back he was able to buy 8 seedlings for 80 pesos each. Several weeks later when I told the seller that Gynura which they called ashitaba could be procured at 35 pesos in Cavite, we went home with 20 seedlings at 40 pesos each. We shared 7 seedlings to friends and relatives thus leaving us with 22 seedlings. With my husband and my mother taking 3 leaves a day, these seedlings would not last long.


I presumed just a click of my fingers would be enough to find the solution to this predicament. I found various sites in the internet promoting the plant but not one had a straightforward pointer on how to propagate it. 

So I experimented on a young stem of the seedling with leaves already nipped off. With the proximal end immersed in water, I observed its progress with much anticipation. The succeeding days were a cycle of ups and downs with the leaves vibrant and alive on the first two days, started to wilt on the third day then gradually sprang back to life later until the roots started to sprout. This slow process seemed to be tedious not only on my part but for the cutting as well. If it would take 6-8 weeks for my seedling to reach this growth stage, I wondered how long would it take for it to be able to serve its purpose. I had incubated 6 stems this way so we had just 16 seedlings left. Definitely I would run out of supply for my two patients.
On top of this, my husband kept on reminding me that the roof might not be able to handle the weight of numerous potted plants. Earthen pots were not considered therefore. The exorbitant price of plastic pots would put much dent on my pocket while seedling bags would prove messy for our galvanized iron roof. In the final analysis, we tried out the feasibility of used plastic containers of mineral water as pots for our treasured gynura procumbens. 
Alas, with a vengeance like a fish put back in water, the plants thrived and flourished lavishly.  I presupposed when we came back after a 5 day vacation in Dingalan, the stems would be ready for another cuttings. But it was not so. The succulent leaves were dried out by aphid infestation. Guided by my teachers in the internet, I diligently sprayed the underside of each leaf with water everyday. Weary and disgusted I almost succumbed  to these pests if I were not just pinning for the benefit that my loved ones could get from these leaves. A lowly mosquito net stocked in the deep recesses of our locker became an effective vanguard that revived the lusciousness of the leaves and my fading enthusiasm. 

After just two months, my gynura procumbens were propagating well. But the moment I put one plant  that is for consumption out of the net to the window sill , some aphids would start bugging the leaves
Gynura Procumbens like any other gift of nature has to be shared. In this context I have shared my personal account on the benefit it accorded my husband and I am now sharing basic tips on caring for it.


1. Cut the leaves for consumption from top to bottom, then get the stem for planting. If the stem is really long, you can get up to 3 cuttings per stem. Immerse the proximal portion of the stems in water for at least 15 minutes.
2. Plant the cuttings in seedling bags. I personally prefer the disposable plastic containers because when the time comes to repot the seedling to a bigger container you can just invert the container and the whole mold of soil would come out, thus leaving the roots unharmed during the transplant.
3. Keep the seedlings out of direct sunlight; water them frequently. They thrive best under the rain.
4. The roots are usually established in two weeks and the seedlings are ready for re potting.
5. Once transferred to big containers, start introducing them to sun light.
6. Keep the pests out. If aphids abound in your area, keep the plants under a net. Even with the net on, aphids can still be carried by ants, so keep the ants out; also the snails and earthworms. Keeping these menace out can be a daunting task. I usually pour organic pesticide which I read in various internet sites. 
"To make garlic oil spray, mince or finely chop three to four cloves of garlic, and add them to two teaspoons of mineral oil. Let this mixture sit for 24 hours. Strain out the garlic pieces, and add the remaining liquid to one pint of water. Add one teaspoon of liquid dish soap. This mixture can be stored and diluted as needed. When you need to spray, use two tablespoons of the mixture added to one pint of water in a spray bottle. 
To use your garlic oil spray, first test by spraying an inconspicuous part of the plant to see if your mixture harms it at all. If there are no signs of yellowing or other leaf damage after a day or two, it is safe to use. If there is leaf damage, dilute the mixture with more water and try the test again." 
 In my case, every time it is needed I would just pour 1/2 cup of the concentrate in a pail of water, then sprinkle the said solution to the plants particularly on the undersides of the leaves and onto the pots and their bases. This solution will kill not only the aphids but also the ants and bugs: even the good helpful bugs.


7. Fertilize the plants every month.
8. The more you get the leaves, the more you do cuttings, the more your Gynura Procumbens would increase and flourish...this is why it is called "Tomorrow's plant" ...if you cut a leaf in the morning, at the end of the day a new branch will come out.
I hope this would be of help to those who are interested in the benefits that Gynura procumbens can offer. GOOD LUCK!


You may also like

No comments:

Post a Comment